Re: [PERFORM] Tables Without OIDS and its effect

From: Sai Hertz And Control Systems <sank89(at)sancharnet(dot)in>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com, Postgres Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Tables Without OIDS and its effect
Date: 2003-12-13 10:33:37
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

Hello Neil Conway,

We are doing some test on our applications and will let know the
community if without OIDS we could gain
more speed .

>>2. Though I have not written any code in my any of the pgsql functions
>>which depend on OIDS
>> 1. Will without OIDS the functions behave internally differently
>> 2. Will my application break at any point
>>

>No.
>
>BTW, we intend to phase out the use of OIDs for user tables in the
>long term. There have been a few threads on -hackers that discuss the
>plans for doing this.

This was a relief for us all , but an the same time we have found one
incompatibility

This incompatibility is with
1. StarOffice 7.0
2. OpenOffice 1.1
and the incompatibility is when I retrieve data into Star SpreadSheet
or Open Office SpreadSheet
I am greeted with an error field *OID* not found.
Though these both are connecting to PostgreSQL 7.3.4 (Linux GCC 3.x)
via psqlODBC 07.02.0003
On the Same time WinSQL connects as usual via psqlODBC 07.02.0003 and
is working fine.

Though this does not effect us a lot since we are using PHP to show
and retrieve data
We are posting this such that any one relying totally on OpenOffice for
data retrieve and display
better know this ,

Our Test config was:
--------------------------
Client :-
O.S Win XP (No service pack)
OpenOffice 1.1 Windows version
StarOffice 7.0 Eval Pack
psqlODBC 07.02.0003
Server :-
OS RH 9.0 kernel-2.4.20-24.9
PostgreSQL 7.3.4

Please if anyone has a different story while using WITHOUT OIDS
please let us and every one know .

Regards,
V Kashyap