Re: Resurrecting pg_upgrade

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Resurrecting pg_upgrade
Date: 2003-12-12 20:40:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 14:51, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>>re Windows: pipes, yes, hard links, no (and no sane symlinks either)
>>

>Actually, NTFS does support hard links, there is just no support for it
>in any MS file management GUI.
>
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnfiles/html/ntfs5.asp
>
>[snip]

I learn something new every day! :-)

I guess we *are* specifying that only NTFS will be supported on Windows?
(I saw someone the other day running XP on FAT - I couldn't believe it!)

>>Maybe use an option which you would disable on Windows to copy the files
>>instead of hardlinking them. Yes it would take lots more time and space,
>>but copying raw files would surely still be a lot faster than loading
>>the dump.
>>

>I think this would be a good feature even without hard link problems.
>If I am a paranoid admin, and I can afford the time and disk space
>required, I would want to keep a complete copy of my database, even
>after the new server is up and running.

I agree. A little paranoia never hurt anyone. Of course, you could
always back it up manually beforehand too.

cheers

andrew