Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
Cc: "Randal L(dot) Schwartz" <merlyn(at)stonehenge(dot)com>, Randolf Richardson <rr(at)8x(dot)ca>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date: 2003-12-01 04:39:45
Lists: pgsql-general

There is another thing too-- MySQL manages connection permissions entirely

>within the RDBMS, while PostgreSQL relies on the pg_hba.conf. This makes
>managing a database server in a shared hosting environment a bit harder.
>While I appreciate the PostgreSQL way of doing things, I realize that it is
>a bit harder to make work for the average web hosting provider. I am
>currently looking at the possibility of building a solution, but no one has
>expressed interest, so I am not sure.

Ahh just run different instances for each customer.

>FWIW, here is what I have in mind:
>A PostgreSQL database with hooks into the pg_hba.conf so that new user
>accounts can be created, along with databases, etc. and all permissions
>properly managed. Whether the pg_hba should be parsed and treated as an
>external table using PL/PerlU

I would use pl/c because you won't have the external perl requirement.

+1-503-222-2783 - jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org