Re: PostgreSQL Advocacy, Thoughts and Comments

From: Rick Morris <rick(at)brainscraps(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Advocacy, Thoughts and Comments
Date: 2003-12-01 00:41:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Thanks, Tony

It's good to hear that my article hasn't fallen on deaf ears (er...
rather... blind eyes). I wrote this article as a result of reading many
messages in the pgsql mail archives wishing for such a thing. I also
intended to write another article (actually, a series of articles) to be
distributed freely for online use, and not focusing only on PHP. I am
still working on this, but a recent job change and an urgent project
have slowed me down a little. I plan to have at least a couple of these
ready before the new year, when I will post links to them here
(actually, in the pgsql-advocacy), and will welcome any reviews,
criticism, etc... I will also be more than happy to participate in any
way (reviews, proofreading, etc...) for any others writing articles.
Count me in, as a (more than) happy PostgreSQL user.

And yes, I think you hit the nail on the head here: often those who are
very familiar with PostgreSQL don't realize just how little
understanding many developers have of its potential. Since I was, until
2-3 years ago, an 'outsider' to many of the serious concepts of the
relational model, I can empathize with them somewhat, and it has helped
me present the case.

I was recently made moderator of the Database section at Dev Shed
Forums, where I have hopefully had a hand in explaining PostgreSQL to
more than a few developers. Based on what I am seeing, I sincerely
believe PostgreSQL is going to get LOT more recognition over the next
couple of years. This is especially the case if a few of us start
presenting *positive explanatory material*, in addition to the
comparisons to other DBMSs. The sad fact is, most developers need to be
educated in the basics, just to be able to understand what the benefits are.

Regards,

Rick Morris