Upgrading from 7.2.3 to....??

From: Carlos Moreno <moreno(at)mochima(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upgrading from 7.2.3 to....??
Date: 2003-11-30 19:56:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I was planning a major upgrade on our PostgreSQL system,
which is currently running PG 7.2.3 (on a Linux system)
to 7.3.4.

I see that version 7.4 just came out, with extremely
interesting and nice features! (kudos to PostgreSQL's
development team, BTW).

But of course, there's so much that it's new that I find
it kind of scary to upgrade straight to 7.4 (even though
the testing period was longer).

Since our upgrade will most likely take place early in
January, maybe by then we'll have a better idea about
how 7.4 performs in the real world, concerning stability/
reliability?

What would be your advice? Is 7.3.4 the recommended one
if we need reliability? Or has 7.4 earned sufficient
trust by now?

Also, how about back compatibility? Should I expect some
trouble? I remember with one of the previous upgrades
(I think it was from 7.1.* to 7.2.*), one of our SQL
statements stopped working, and it did it pretty silently
(i.e., the effect of the error would only be noticed under
certain conditions). After a while, we noticed the error,
and it was trivial to fix, but now it worries me now
whenever I have to upgrade to a new second-digit in the
version.

Thanks for any comments,

Carlos