Re: Commercial binary support?

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Austin Gonyou <austin(at)coremetrics(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, eg(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: Commercial binary support?
Date: 2003-11-19 20:41:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think what the person is looking for is:
>
> COMPANY PostgreSQL for Red Hat Enterprise 3.0.
>
> They probably have some commercial mandate that says that they have
> to have a commercial company backing the product itself. This doesn't
> work for most PostgreSQL companies because they back the "Open Source"
> version of PostgreSQL.
>
> Where someone like Command Prompt, although we happily support the
> Open Source version, we also sell Command Prompt PostgreSQL.
>
> It is purely a business thing, liability and the like.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua Drake

Hello

Tell me if I am significantly wrong but Command Prompt PostgreSQL is
nothing more than "Open Source PostgreSQL" including some application
server stuff, some propriertary PL/Perl || PL/PHP and not much more.

Your anwer to this statement will be: But it is supported.

Can you tell me a reason why somebody should use a closed source version
of an Open Source product unless it contains some really significant
improvement (say native Win32 or something like that)?

Can you tell me ONE reason why this does not work for other PostgreSQL
companies such as `eval LONG LIST`?
Personally I think everybody can have its business strategy but what
REALLY sets me up is that this mail seems to mean that Command Prompt is
the only support company around which is actually WRONG!

In my opinion everybody who has enough skills can do this kind of job.
Being a support company has nothing to do with making a good Open Source
product a closed source product.
In my opinion giving something a new name and hiding away some code does
not mean commercial backing and it does not mean being the god of all
support companies.

Regards,

Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria