Re: logical column position

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logical column position
Date: 2003-11-19 18:07:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Cramer wrote:

>Andreas,
>
>The point of this is to maintain the column position. I don't think that
>an alter of a column type should move the column position.

Why should ALTER COLUMN change the column number, i.e. position?

>It may be that programmers should not rely on this, but it happens, and in very
>large projects. If we can avoid unexpected side-affects like moving the
>columns position, then I think we should.

This is *expected* if behaviour if you delete and add columns; is there
any DB system out there that allows to reshuffle the column ordering?

Instead of some order-ordering facility it would be better to support
all kinds of column type changes, not only binary compatible ones. This
would help everybody, not only maintainers of ill-designed software.

Regards,
Andreas