Re: Constraint Problem

From: Ron St-Pierre <rstpierre(at)syscor(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Constraint Problem
Date: 2003-11-04 16:39:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Greg Stark wrote:

>Ron St-Pierre <rstpierre(at)syscor(dot)com> writes:
>

>>This is not quite what I need. I need to create a constraint to allow only
>>-one- of
>> company<->association<->default(=true) value
>>but any number of
>> company<->association<->default(=false) values
>>

>So a unique index on "(company,association) where default" doesn't do what you
>want?

No it doesn't. For example, after I create the unique index I can still
input:
company10 association7 true
company10 association7 true
company10 association7 true
I want to prevent this from happening, but still allow multiple
company10 association7 false
company10 association7 false
entries for example.

The idea of using NULLs is a good idea, but this is a production
database and would require changes to the web-based front end (7 of
them), not to mention each database. That's why I want to change the
behaviour to only allow one unique company<-->association<-->TRUE
combination. Right now there are a number of companies which have
multiple default associations in the database, so I am going to have to
back-trace and find out which association is actally the correct default.

BTW I am using postgresql 7.3.4

Ron