Re: 7.4RC1 planned for Monday

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4RC1 planned for Monday
Date: 2003-10-31 00:16:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I know I will probably be flamed into oblivion for this but I would
like to make a suggestion about
the upcoming release.

What if we delayed until the end of the year?

The two reasons that I can come up with are:

1. The irritating (but work around capable) bigint index issue.
2. More importantly the recent potential discovery by Jan on vacuum.

I have several high end users that are really beating their heads
against the wall with even lazy vacuum
because of how brutal it can be on the system. If we could make vacuum a
little less harsh it could be
a large boon.

If I am totally off my rocker, so be it but if we were to hit the
streets with 7.4 and a vacuum that was 70% (ex)
less brutal on the machine it would be a pretty significant statement.

Yes all the other fixes are great and cool.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org