Re: index question

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Rick Gigger <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: index question
Date: 2003-10-28 03:31:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Rick Gigger wrote:

> I have heard that postgres will not use an index unless the field has
> a not null constraint on it. Is that true?

I have never heard that. There are some oddities with using an Index.
For example,
if you are using a bigint you need to '' the value or if you are using
an aggregrate function (mix/max)
you have to specify a where clause but I have not heard the one you have
mentioned.

Anybody else?

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake