transaction-wraparound data loss

From: Ari Jolma <Ari(dot)Jolma(at)hut(dot)fi>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: transaction-wraparound data loss
Date: 2003-10-24 06:44:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

Brian E. Pangburn asked some time ago about getting the warning

WARNING: Some databases have not been vacuumed in over 2 billion transactions.
You may have already suffered transaction-wraparound data loss.

while doing a routine vacuum. Tom Lane answered but did not have an
answer right away.

I got the same message from my redhat installed
postgresql-server-7.3.2-3. I tried a vacuum after this message and did
not get any warnings.

This is my pg_database.

template1=# select * from pg_database;
datname | datdba | encoding | datistemplate | datallowconn |
datlastsysoid | datvacuumxid | datfrozenxid | datpath | datconfig |
datacl
-----------+--------+----------+---------------+--------------+---------------+--------------+--------------+---------+-----------+-----------------
clime | 100 | 0 | f | t |
16974 | 3226 | 3221228699 | | |
template1 | 1 | 0 | t | t |
16974 | 3449 | 3221228922 | | | {=,postgres=CT}
template0 | 1 | 0 | t | f |
16974 | 427 | 427 | | | {=,postgres=CT}
(3 rows)

Regards,

Ari

**

--
Ari Jolma, Ari(dot)Jolma(at)hut(dot)fi, Professor of Geoinformatics
Cartography and Geoinformatics, Helsinki University of Technology