Re: Recomended FS

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recomended FS
Date: 2003-10-23 05:39:26
Lists: pgsql-general

scott.marlowe wrote:

>OK, but here's the real test. As the postgres user, run 'pgbench -i',
>then after that runs, run 'pgbench -c 50 -t 1000000'. While it's running
>and settled (pg aux|grep postgres|wc -l should show a number of ~54 or
>so.) pull the plug. Wait for the hard drives to spin down, then plug it
>back in and power it one. With SCSI you will still have a coherent
>database.

Agreed in principle - pgbench is the most interesting test... for this
mailing list anyway :-).
However s = 1 makes a tiny database that fits into the file buffer cache
on most machines, which is not a very realistic situation.

e.g. the Dell gets tps = 250 for s = 1 c = 5 t = 1000. This number
looks great but its not too much to do with IO....

I am happier about s = 10 - 50 for machines with 512+ Mb of RAM.

From memory the Dell gets tps = 36 for s = 10 c = 5 t = 100000. This
result seems more believable!

>If you want a coherent database on IDE drives under postgresql you will
>need to issue this command: 'hdparm -W0 /dev/hdx' where x is the letter of
>the drives under the RAID array to turn off write caching. This will slow
>them to a crawl on writes.

I should have said that I was using Freebsd 4.8 with write caching off.
The question of whether the disk *actually* turned it off is the
significant issue, so yes, "use with care" should preface any comments
about IDE usage!

best wishes

Mark