Re: pg_restore takes ages

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore takes ages
Date: 2003-10-03 08:30:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Alex wrote:

> Hi,
> I use pg_restore to load a previously dumped database. (10mil records).
> the load of the data runs quite fast but when starting creating the
> triggers for foreign keys it takes forever.
>
> Isnt there are a faster way. after all the triggers in the source db
> already made sure the data was clean.

You can try creating index/triggers first and load the data. At the end it will
take a while before you get a usable database with either approach but see what
works faster for you.

Personally I was in a situation where postgresql was hogging space while
creating index on a table that had 81M rows with 3GB disk footprint. I dropped
the table and recreated it. Also created index before loading data. The loading
was slow with this approach but it finished in 3 hours. And I had an updated
index as well. Just had to run vacuum over it.

Take your pick..

Shridhar