Re: Extensions User Design

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extensions User Design
Date: 2009-07-23 17:20:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jul 23, 2009, at 9:09 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Please particularly see this sentence: "But unless someone wants to
> tackle that I think we should leave schema management entirely
> alone, and leave it up to the extension author / DBA between them."
>
> I think we are in some danger of massively overdesigning this
> feature (and of repeating past discussions with little extra
> content). Please don't keep adding bells and whistles. The best
> development is almost always incremental. Let's start simple and
> then add features.

This is what I was trying to get at in my last post in the other
thread. While throwing some ideas out on how to handle some of these
issues, where there is no clear agreement on what to do, I think we
should punt in favor of implementing those parts for which there *is*
general agreement.

Best,

David