Re: 7.4beta2 vs 7.3.3

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: 7.4beta2 vs 7.3.3
Date: 2003-09-19 13:38:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com> writes:
>
>>Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>>Hm, it sure looks to be exactly the same plan. The performance
>>>difference seems to be just that the seqscans are faster. I surmise
>>>that in the 7.3 database you had a lot of dead rows, or at least a lot
>>>of free space. Possibly you need to vacuum more often to keep down the
>>>amount of junk in the tables.
>

>>The two databases were created from scratch and the first
>>operation on it ( after a vacuum analyze ) was just that query.
>

> Y'know, I'd love to think that 7.4 is 2x faster than 7.3 on seqscanning,
> but I just can't believe that. We didn't do anything that could account
> for such a speedup. So there's got to be some inconsistency in your
> test conditions.

The machine is the same, the disk too, the main values in the
configuration file are the same ( I put the confs in attachment ).
I was alo able to remove the useless column on that tables, and I
put the dump here:

http://212.198.37.110

The select take long:

Postgres7.3.3: average 4000 ms
Postgres7.4b2: average 2600 ms

you can experiment your self with the dump that I gave you

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgresql7.3.3.conf text/plain 769 bytes
postgresql7.4b2.conf text/plain 838 bytes