Re: State of Beta 2

From: Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)fireserve(dot)net>
To: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
Cc: PgSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: State of Beta 2
Date: 2003-09-12 21:59:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Ron Johnson wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 10:50, Andrew Rawnsley wrote:
>

>>Small soapbox moment here...
>>
>>ANYTHING that can be done to eliminate having to do an initdb on
>>version changes would make a lot of people do cartwheels. 'Do a
>>dump/reload' sometimes comes across a bit casually on the lists (my
>>apologies if it isn't meant to be), but it can be be incredibly onerous
>>to do on a large production system. That's probably why you run across
>>people running stupid-old versions.
>>

>And this will become even more of an issue as it's PG's popularity
>grows with large and 24x7 databases.

He is right, it might be a good idea to head this problem 'off at the
pass'. I am usually pretty good at predicting technilogical trends. I've
made some money at it. And I predict that Postgres will eclipse MySQL
and be in the top 5 of all databases deployed. But it does have some
achilles tendon's.