Re: inserting records from a file

From: "paul butler" <paul(at)entropia(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Kelly" <finncr4(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: inserting records from a file
Date: 2003-08-31 07:13:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

Send reply to: <finncr4(at)comcast(dot)net>
From: "Kelly" <finncr4(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [NOVICE] inserting records from a file
Date sent: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 20:55:43 -0700

> I need to add a large number(1000) records to my table. How would I do this
> using a file? Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Kelly
Assumming its a csv file (though you can use tabs/pipes etc as delimiters:
Using psql

copy TargetTable from 'YourFileAndPath' using delimiters '\,';

more info at

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/sql-copy.html

and

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/app-psql.html

The latter concerns psql's \copy command, used if permissions are a problem.

Hope this helps

Paul Butler