Re: Buglist

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Buglist
Date: 2003-08-21 02:10:10
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
>
>>What about a little hint to the buffer management that if it has to
>>evict another buffer to physically read this one (meaning the buffer
>>pool was full already) then it will not put this buffer at the top of
>>the LRU chain but rather at it's end? This way a vacuum on a large table
>>will not cause a complete cache eviction.
>

> I think what we really need is a way to schedule VACUUM's I/O at a lower
> priority than normal I/Os. Wouldn't be very portable :-( ... but if the
> OS offers a facility for requesting this, it'd be worth experimenting
> with.

Whatever priority it has, I think the fact that a VACUUM is kicking
everything out of a carefully populated buffer cache and possibly
replacing it with data of low to no interest at all should have some
space for improvement. And that one single optimizer mistake choosing a
seqscan over an index scan for a huge table does the same doesn't strike
me as smart either.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #