Re: Pgsql - Red Hat Linux - VS MySQL VS MSSQL

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Balazs Wellisch <balazs(at)neusolutions(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pgsql - Red Hat Linux - VS MySQL VS MSSQL
Date: 2003-07-13 17:30:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

Balazs Wellisch wrote:
> I don't have months to learn the ins and outs of PostgreSQL
> performance tuning so I looked around to see if there are any
> preconfigured solutions out there.

I don't know of a preconfigured solution. Generally speaking, the best
configuration will be highly dependent on your hardware, data, and
application.

> Hat Advanced Server and install Red Hat Database 2.1? (Let's say money
> is no object)

There are many Linux and other OS distributions that will work just
fine. You may need to tweak a few kernel configuration parameters, but
that's not too difficult; see:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=0&file=kernel-resources.html

I would *not* use the default version of Postgres shipped with any
particular distribution. Use 7.3.3 because that is the latest released
version. Or, as Shridhar mentioned in his post, the are a number of
pretty significant performance improvements in 7.4 (which is in feature
freeze and scheduled to go into beta on 21 July). If you are in an
exploratory/test phase rather than production right now, I'd say use the
7.4 beta for your comparisons.

If money is truly not a problem, but time is, my advice is to hire a
consultant. There are probably several people on this list that can fill
that role for you. Otherwise read the archives and ask lots of specific
questions.

Joe