Re: Kill Process ERROR !!!

From: Terry Hampton <thampton(at)limacorp(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Kill Process ERROR !!!
Date: 2003-07-09 16:10:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

scott.marlowe wrote:

> Please note that this is not necessarily true. If my server has been up a
> while and I stop/restart the postmaster, it may have a fairly high id
> number and it is quite possible that in x number of days time, the
> children will be created with a wrapped pid which is lower than the
> postmasters. Just look for the - switches that make it obvious. In fact,
> this IS currently the case right now on my server:
>
> 13081 ? S 2:30 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster
> 13082 ? S 0:19 postgres: stats buffer process
> 13083 ? S 0:28 postgres: stats collector process
> 5600 ? S 0:00 postgres: marlowe phone [local] idle
>
> In this case 13081 is my postmaster.

Hey Scott,

Thanks for your input !
Of course you're correct here with the possibility
of PID's rolling over - and I considered describing
exactley what you have here in my original email.

My original was getting longer than I anticipated,
so I simply thought to myself "yeah it happens, but
don't add a bunch more explanation, since the
scenario is kinda uncommon".

I should have known better ! This group is too
sharp to let anything slip through :-)

Terry