Re: Extreme high load averages

From: Martin Foster <martin(at)ethereal-realms(dot)org>
To: Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Subject: Re: Extreme high load averages
Date: 2003-07-06 10:26:21
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-performance

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> On 5 Jul 2003 at 22:54, Martin Foster wrote:
>
>>What I would like to know is. Why? The kernel has been compiled to
>>handle the number of concurrent connections, the server may not be the
>>best, but it should be able to handle the requests: PIII 1Ghz, 1GB
>>SDRAM, 2 IDE 20GB drives.
>>
>>I have changed settings to take advantage of the memory. So the
>>following settings are of interest:
>> shared_buffers = 16384
>> wal_buffers = 256
>> sort_mem = 16384
>> vacuum_mem = 32768
>

> As somebody else has already pointed out, your sort_mem is bit too high
> than required. Try lowering it.
>
> Secondly did you tune effective_cache_size?
>
> HTH
> Bye
> Shridhar
>
> --
> Power, n.: The only narcotic regulated by the SEC instead of the FDA.

I dropped the size of the sort_mem down to 8 megs. Since I am not
swapping to cache at all this should not post much of a problem at that
value.

effective_cache_size seems interesting, though the description is
somewhat lacking. Is this related to the swap partition and how much of
it will be used by PostgreSQL? If I am correct, this should be fairly low?
Martin Foster
Creator/Designer Ethereal Realms
martin(at)ethereal-realms(dot)org