Re: conditional indexes

From: Ruslan A Dautkhanov <rusland(at)scn(dot)ru>
To: Hubert Lubaczewski <hubert(dot)lubaczewski(at)eo(dot)pl>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: conditional indexes
Date: 2003-06-25 10:29:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hubert Lubaczewski wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:33:27 +0800
>Ruslan A Dautkhanov <rusland(at)scn(dot)ru> wrote:
>
>>Postgres start to use conditional index only when I also pass index'
>>condition:
>> login='user' AND login<>'' ...
>>

>i belive it's pretty rational when you'll think that you can have your own operators which does something else, and allowing postgres to treat conditional indices the way you'd like them to behave, would require to put lot of really nasty workarounds.

Statistics: 10% of peoples drink 90% of bear consumed volumes.. .)

I think peoples in 99% of situations use _standart_ types. Custom types
is exotic and used rarely by most peoples,
only 1% use custom types often, I think. Next survey at
http://www.postgresql.org/ can be "Do you use custom data types or
operators?".

Just if Postgres will especially interact with _standart_ types it will
make 99% peoples that us it a little happier.
I remember another examples like this - Postgres will use sometimes
indexes on int8 fields only when you
explicitly cast values to int8... Maybe you can remember another
examples? If SQL developer play with custom
data types, let him be sometimes more concrete...

--
best regards,
Ruslan A Dautkhanov rusland(at)scn(dot)ru