Problems with writing EUC-JP/Unicode to console or file

From: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problems with writing EUC-JP/Unicode to console or file
Date: 2003-06-23 06:20:12
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I'm having trouble writing a particular character to a file or even to
the console. The character in question is the japanese double-width "-"
symbol (in japanese font 'ー').

When I read the data from the pg database, encoded in EUC-JP, and
display it in a GUI text field it is displayed properly. However if I
try and write it to the console using System.out.println() or to a file
using FileWriter.write() the character comes out as a '?'.

I am using a the newest version of postgres, 7.3.3, but a slightly old
driver, pgidbc2.jar.

Is this a problem with the driver, Java, or the way I am trying to
print/write out the data?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jean-Christian Imbeault