Re: Extending PostgreSQL in C or C++

From: David Blasby <dblasby(at)refractions(dot)net>
To: Sebastien Lemieux <slemieux(at)elitra(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extending PostgreSQL in C or C++
Date: 2003-06-17 21:13:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sebastien Lemieux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to extend postgreSQL to support some specific function I will
> code in C (ideally C++ if it can work!).

Be very carefull with using C++ functions inside postgresql. If the C++
code throws an exception the postgresql backend will get a SIGABRT and
terminate.

You can solve this by linking the std c++ library to the postmaster. We
tried everything we could think of to fix this, but this was the only
solution that worked.

For a complete discussion, you can read the PostGIS (GIS spatial objects
for Postgresql) mailing list (http://postgis.refractions.net) and the
GEOS (Geometry Engine, Open Source) mailing list
(http://geos.refractions.net).

dave