Re: RE : full featured alter table?

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Bruno BAGUETTE <pgsql-ml(at)baguette(dot)net>
Cc: 'Tom Lane' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, 'Ernest E Vogelsinger' <ernest(at)vogelsinger(dot)at>, "'Nigel J(dot) Andrews'" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, 'Sven Köhler' <skoehler(at)upb(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RE : full featured alter table?
Date: 2003-06-16 19:26:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Bruno BAGUETTE wrote:
> Hello,
>

>>why not just order the output columns in alphabetical order?
>>This is quite easy to implement and requires no additional
>>storage. The output would be the same all the time and with all tools.
>

> No, what we are talking about is to have the possibility to choose the
> output order of the columns of a table (by adding a field in the
> pg_attribute table).

Sure, I did understand that. But I think it is quite pointless
to burden the db or the app with such functionality.
Just to have random ordered columns which do not correspondent
to any physical ordering by the db.
So it does not influence query performance to arrange the
selected columns this or that order. So why confusing
the user by pretending it has any meaning to order the columns?

I think there are quite more praxis relevant problems to solve :)

Regards
Tino