Re: Pre-allocation of shared memory ...

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pre-allocation of shared memory ...
Date: 2003-06-15 10:43:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14 Jun 2003 at 16:38, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> important not to give people false expectations. For now, I'm leaning in
> Tom's direction of advising people to avoid Linux for mission-critical
> situations that could run into an OOM.

While I agree that vanilla linux does not handle the situation gracefully
enough, anybody running a mission critical application should spec. the machine
and the demads on the same carefully enough. For certain linux won't start
doing OOM kill because it started going low on buffer memory. ( At least I hope
so.)

If on expects to throw uncalculated amount of load on a mission critical box,
till it reaches swap for every malloc in a strcpy, there are things need to be
checked before which kernel/OS you are running.

And BTW whas that original comment for vanilla liux or linux in general..:-)

Bye
Shridhar

--
Adore, v.: To venerate expectantly. -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's
Dictionary"