Re: Removing pg_migrator limitations

From: decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing pg_migrator limitations
Date: 2009-12-22 22:04:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Dec 19, 2009, at 9:52 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

>>> I'm willing to work on this --- it doesn't look particularly fun but
>>> we really need it.
>>
>> You don't know fun until you have tried to stack hack upon hack and
>> still create a reliable migration system. :-(
>
> They say that people who love sausage and respect the law should never
> watch either one being made, and I have to say I'm coming to feel that
> way about in-place upgrade, too.

Perhaps we should be ordering bacon instead of sausage...

Is there some reason why OIDs were used for ENUM instead of a general sequence? Were we worried about people screwing with the sequence?

A sequences would presumably eliminate all these issues. Even if we wanted to disallow user access to the sequence, having something that's not competing with all the other uses of OID would presumably make this a lot simpler.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net