Enabling and disabling run time configuration parameters.

From: Yusuf <yusuf0478(at)netscape(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Enabling and disabling run time configuration parameters.
Date: 2003-06-05 15:35:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

I have discovered that I could optimize queries by adjusting the
following parameters such as enable_seqscan, enable_hashjoin,
enable_mergejoin and enable_nestloop.

Is it a good idea, to temporarily adjust those values before running a
query to spend up the execution time? I've searched online and wasn't
able to find articles about it.

I need to speed up an enterprise application that I'm working on, and I
wouldn't want to screw things up.

My plan is for every query that could be optimized by adjusting
parameters: I'll enable parameters that'll speed it up, run the query,
then set the parameters back to their default values.

Thanks in advance.