SAPDB - MYSQL

From: Ewald Geschwinde <webmaster(at)geschwinde(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SAPDB - MYSQL
Date: 2003-05-27 16:47:42
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

SO HERE IS THE LIGHT IN THE DARK!!!!
regards EWald Geschwinde

FYI - I copied this post to Rudolf Munz who was kind enough to reply:
Ray,

MySQL will offer a rebranded version of SAP DB as a MySQL product. So
SAP DB does not go away and
will also be offered in the future under as Open Source under GPL. The
SAP DB team you know stays
in place and takes care of the ongoing development and and support of
SAP DB. Future SAP DB
releases will come as planned. SAP is and remains responsible for the
SAP DB code base. MySQL plans to
add the rebranded SAP DB as a new product line to its present MySQL
Classic and MySQL Pro product
lines.

Regards,

Rudolf Munz

Cheers
Ray
Ray Harrison wrote:
Like many on this list I was disheartened by this news. My main
questions, if Daniel, Elke et al are still available, are:

1.) What happens to the SAP DB code tree? Will it merge with mySQL or
will it be a separate product? Or will the code tree just go away?

2.) Will SAP LABS do any work on the 7.5 fork or will it only do minimal
work on 7.4?

3.) If the answer to (1) is that it will merge with mySQL, what versions
of mySQL will end up as the co-product of SAP DB and mySQL?

To re-name a product that carries with it a substantial amount of weight
(SAP DB) to mySQL (despite their recent advances, it still comes across
as a toy in the minds of many) is a travesty.

Cheers
Ray Harrison
Managing Partner
TSG International, LLC