Re: 500 tpsQL + WAL log implementation

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Curtis Faith <curtis(at)galtcapital(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 500 tpsQL + WAL log implementation
Date: 2003-05-26 18:15:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> [...]
> If we could somehow know the platter location, or tell the disk drive to
> write it in several locations, whichever is closest, I think we would
> have a real win. However, I don't see any way of doing that.
>
> Imagine what we could do with 8mb of battery-backed RAM! This is sort
> of what we are using WAL/disk for, and it really isn't very good at it.

Isn't that what modern disk drives have ... well, not exactly battery
backed, but actually the energy they have in the rotation is enough to
flush the "write cache" out to the surface and get the heads back into
the parking position in the case of a power loss.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #