Re: 500 tpsQL + WAL log implementation

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Curtis Faith <curtis(at)galtcapital(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 500 tpsQL + WAL log implementation
Date: 2003-05-24 04:40:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I kept this around from November because I wanted to think about it
further.

Basically, right now when we continually add to the last WAL page, we
have to wait for the platter to rotate to that block each time to do the
fsync.

the idea is to have multiple versions of the last WAL block, meaning you
write the first record of the last block, then when you want to write
another, your disk platter has moved, so you write the first and second
records in a new location.

If we could somehow know the platter location, or tell the disk drive to
write it in several locations, whichever is closest, I think we would
have a real win. However, I don't see any way of doing that.

Imagine what we could do with 8mb of battery-backed RAM! This is sort
of what we are using WAL/disk for, and it really isn't very good at it.

Is this a TODO item?

Find a way to reduce rotational delay when repeatedly writing
last WAL page

Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us