Re: upgrade issue

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Jodi Kanter <jkanter(at)virginia(dot)edu>
Cc: Postgres Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: upgrade issue
Date: 2003-05-23 15:49:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jodi Kanter wrote:
> We just upgraded one of our Red Hat 7.3 machines from postgresql version
> 7.2.3 to version 7.3.2. All seemed to go smoothly until we received an
> error via our web interface. The following error occurred:
>
> install_driver(Pg) failed: Can't load
> '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux/auto/DBD/Pg/Pg.so' for module
> DBD::Pg: libpq.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 206,
> <OR> line 57.

There was a libpq binary compatibility change between 7.2.x and 7.3.x,
so libpq.so.2 was changed to libpq.so.3. I don't remember the specifics,
and the archives don't seem searchable at the moment :-(. But in any
case, I think you need to rebuild DBD::Pg against the newer libpq.

> We solved the problem by moving libpq.so.2 from another machine. That
> machine has not been upgraded yet and is still running postgresql
> version 7.2.3.

It would probably be better to create a libpq.so.2 symlink from
libpq.so.3 until you can rebuild DBD::Pg.

> I was hoping someone could give me some insight to why this occured. Did
> we miss some part of the installation? I still have two machines to
> upgrade and would like to avoid this on the others. The rpms all
> appeared to have run without trouble. So, why didn't it install?

The problem is the new libpq.so version. Not sure why RPM dependencies
didn't warn you though.

HTH,

Joe