ENCODING (Unicode)

From: Reshat Sabiq <sabiq(at)purdue(dot)edu>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ENCODING (Unicode)
Date: 2003-05-19 23:32:44
Lists: pgadmin-support

To my surprise i recently found out that there is no difference in what encoding a database or even initdb has.
I could insert and retrieve Unicode and extended ASCII with a Java program, and everything is good. However, when the values are displayed by pgadmin or a cygwin shell, both extended ASCII and Unicode characters are shown as a sequence of 2 characters, and those don't correspond to the bits one would expect to have if 2 byte-characer were split into 2 1-byte (8-bit) characters. The best explanation i could come up with is that pgAdminII is not supporting Unicode encodings, and the shell obviously also does not. This is not surprising, because most of pre-Java, pre-.NET apps were and are like that, although Windows has the notions of wchar...
If i'm right, i wonder if Unicode is expected to be supported sometimes in the future. And in general all feedback is appreciated.

Sincerely,
Reshat.

If you see my certificate with this message, you should be able to send me encrypted e-mail.
Please consult your e-mail client for details if you would like to do that.