ODBC Behavior, where do I find help?

From: Jon V <jon(at)cecorp(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ODBC Behavior, where do I find help?
Date: 2003-04-28 21:37:05
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello all,

I'm sure this is a pretty basic misunderstanding or misapplication on my
part. I'm hoping one of you can set me straight.
I'm running PostgreSQL 7.3.2 under Cygwin. Running ODBC 7.01.00.10 (as
displayed in the ODBC Data Source Administrator Driver tab), my
application works fine. However, if I install any of the 7.02 ODBC
drivers, my application fails.

We've traced the cause of the failure, and it has me scratching my head.
Using our application OR PgAdminII, I run the following:

begin;
select * from table_name
end

With 7.1 ODBC I get a result (in PgAdminII a table pops up on the
screen, in our app we get the results of the query). With 7.2 I get a
"query completed successfully" (status) message. The same thing happens
when I run an SQL function we've written that passes a cursor back --
7.1 returns the result, 7.2 returns a status.

I assume I must be doing something wrong because if it was really broken
then nobody could use 7.2, and the latest versions of PgAdmin are quite
forceful about automatically installing the 7.2 drivers if they aren't
present.

Where should I look?

TIA,
Jon