Re: conflicting libraries at runtime

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Hackers (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: conflicting libraries at runtime
Date: 2003-04-27 01:06:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>>If the problem is really that, against the expectations, the dynamic
>>linker picks the implementation in libc.so as opposed to the program, use
>> env LD_DEBUG=all LD_DEBUG_OUTPUT=somefile normal_program args...
>>to see a lot of output on the name resolution process. Search for the
>>symbol you're looking for in this output file.
>
> We may have to go back to Ulrich to decode what the output tells us,
> but it's something to try anyway ...

Thanks! I've attached the relevant portions from a Red Hat 8 and a Red
Hat 9 machine. There are two included symbols for the contrast:

- symbol=fft_factor gets resolved correctly to
/usr/local/lib/R/bin/libR.so in both cases
- symbol=re_compile_fastmap is correctly resolved on RH8, and
incorrectly (at least for my needs) on RH9

But it seems that libc.so.6 on both RH8 and RH9 have the symbol
re_compile_fastmap (see snipped line from nm output in attachment), so I
still don't understand why in RH9 the libc symbol is used, and in RH8
the one from libR.

Thanks,

Joe

Attachment Content-Type Size