Re: DBLink cursors

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DBLink cursors
Date: 2003-04-16 16:12:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> I was just going thr. dblink code and noticed that dblink cursors are wrapped
> in their own transaction.

yup -- been that way since 7.3 was released.

> If an application instantiates a transaction to do 10 things, one of which is
> to fetch a cursor over dblink, how will it work?

I guess it won't -- you're the first person who ever complained, so
quite possibly you're the first who's needed it.

> IMO the instantiation of transaction block should be left calling application,
> as done with normal cursors. DBLink would have to detect whether or not they
> are in a transaction block and abort accordingly.
>
> Or I misunderstood something?

No, you seem to understand correctly. Patches gratefully accepted ;-)

I think someone is working on nested transactions, which IIRC may make
it into 7.4. In this case, the issue will be moot, no? If not, I will
take a look at fixing it for 7.4. If you want to ensure that, submit a
patch. I'd think the best thing to do would be the following:

- detect transaction status
- if not in an explicit transaction block, start one

Joe