Re: LVM snapshots

From: Matt <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Murthy Kambhampaty <murthy(dot)kambhampaty(at)goeci(dot)com>, 'Peter Eisentraut' <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LVM snapshots
Date: 2003-04-04 18:27:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tom Lane wrote:

> A lot of detailed and informative stuff essentially equating a
snapshot backup with a system crash

And I have to agree with what Tom said. An FS snapshot should indeed
look just like an instantaneous halt in processing. Murthy's testing
does involve a pretty heavy load, and it is in a sense reassuring that
it manages to generate the same kind of issues, and that PostgreSQL's
ability to recover from such crashes is so good.

Maybe one could use FS snapshots as a way to test crash recovery without
needing to crash the system!

Anyway, I was about to respond to Tom's comment that it looked like a
snapshotting bug, but can we take it from yr subsequent post Tom that
you no longer think so?