Re: pgadmin3 query tools

From: Andreas Pflug <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgadmin3 query tools
Date: 2003-04-02 12:27:24
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

>So you're saying we make the arbitrary query tools (SQL/QB) produce very
>fast, but read-only output, but add an 'Edit' option for tables/views,
>that allows editting of their contents an a purpose designed grid?
>That would certainly be easier to code as we would always know the base
>structure of what we were editting...

Exactly. I've seen quite a lot of querying tools, and most of them were
quite ugly and at the edge of usability. For my experience, I think two
tool windows are the easiest way to handle it, not only in concerning
coding, but also regarding user handling. The best tool I've been
working with was MSSQL2000's ISQLW, which does use separate windows for
editing and arbitrary query output. And pgadmin3 is going to be better,
because its schema representation is better.

>>We got different recommendations, so we need different tools. If we try
>> to put all into one, we get only second best. And you will agree,
>>pgsql is worth only the best.
>>

>Absolutely.

For a programmer, acceptance stands and falls by the tools. We are on
the way to supply a tool that leaves virtually no wishes. Let's show
those big companies that open software is better! Who needs O.., who
needs M..., we got PostgreSQL!

Regards,
Andreas