Re: missing FROM-clause notice but nothing is missing ...

From: Hadley Willan <hadley(dot)willan(at)deeperdesign(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: missing FROM-clause notice but nothing is missing ...
Date: 2003-03-28 06:03:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> No go with the view ... same error:
>
> DB=# SELECT products.id
> FROM products
> WHERE name ILIKE 'AA'
>
> UNION
>
> SELECT prod_id
> FROM v_products_cast_crews
> WHERE cast_crew=1012
>
> ORDER BY products.id;
>
> NOTICE: Adding missing FROM-clause entry for table "products"
> ERROR: ORDER BY on a UNION/INTERSECT/EXCEPT result must be on one of
> the result columns

Strange, I actually quickly whipped up the tables and it worked for me?
You did adjust some of the column names appropriately?
Also, the LEFT JOIN's are best treated as a single line too.

Anyway, I looked further in and I see you've got it working.

Still, views are a more convenient way than doing manual UNIONs all the
time.