Re: ecpg vs. libpq

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ecpg vs. libpq
Date: 2003-02-21 10:34:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 21 Feb 2003 at 11:26, Christoph Haller wrote:

> I am wondering if there is any difference in performance between
> using ecpg and libpq. If I understand the concept of ecpg correctly,
> calls to the lecpg interface are internally converted to calls to libpq.
>
> So there is no big difference at all. Is this right?

That is correct but there are some other differences.

1. Obviously ecpg is simpler to use.
2. libpq is almost thread safe. ecpg is not. It is work in progress.
3. ecpg can not be C++ in itself, libpq can be.

Just about it..

Bye
Shridhar

--
Drew's Law of Highway Biology: The first bug to hit a clean windshield lands
directly in front of your eyes.