Re: location of the configuration files

From: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, "J(dot) M(dot) Brenner" <doom(at)kzsu(dot)stanford(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-17 02:40:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
>

>>Tom Lane writes:
>>

>>>I would favor a setup that allows a -C *directory* (not file) to be
>>>specified as a postmaster parameter separately from the -D directory;
>>>

>>A directory is not going to satisfy people.
>>

>Why not? Who won't it satisfy, and what's their objection?
>
>AFAICS, you can either set -C to /etc if you want your PG config files
>loose in /etc, or you can set it to /etc/postgresql/ if you want them
>in a privately-owned directory. Which other arrangements are needed?

The idea of using a "directory" puts us back to using symlinks to share
files.

While I know the core development teams thinks that symlinks are a
viable configuration option, most admins, myself included, do not like
to use symlinks because they do not have the ability to carry
documentation, i.e. comments in a configuration file, and are DANGEROUS
in a production environment.

Any configuration strategy that depends on symlinks is inadequate and
poorly designed.