Re: Postgres Windows ADO help needed

From: "Raymond O'Donnell" <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: gl_nospam(at)earthlink(dot)net (Greg Laird), pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Windows ADO help needed
Date: 2003-02-15 16:22:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On 8 Feb 2003 at 12:25, Greg Laird wrote:

> I am getting ready to develop some software using Borland's C++
> builder 6.0 and have been reading about my options for database
> access. It seems like ODBC, while still an option, is being replaced

I've been writing stuff in Delphi which talks to a Postgres machine.
If you use ADO, you will need to use ODBC also as there is no native
OLE-DB driver for Postgres (that I'm aware of - please correct me if
I'm wrong). ADO talks to its generic OLE-DB driver for ODBC, which
talks to the Postgres ODBC driver, which talks to the database
machine.

I have found this works well, both for Win32 desktop clients and for
COM components called from ASP pages.

There is also a dbExpress driver for postgres available commercially
from www.vitavoom.com - I haven't tried it, but it might be worth
looking at.

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals
rod(at)iol(dot)ie Galway Cathedral Recitals