Re: location of the configuration files

From: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, "J(dot) M(dot) Brenner" <doom(at)kzsu(dot)stanford(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-13 19:06:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Oliver Elphick wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 17:52, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>>

>>>Seems to me that if FHS allows such a mess, it's reason enough to avoid
>>>compliance. Either that or those of you who build for distributions are
>>>making an ill advised change. Simply because the distribution makes the
>>>decision to add PostgreSQL, or some other package, to it's distribution
>>>doesn't make it a requirement to change the location of the config files.
>>>

>>Debian (and FHS) specifically requires that. All configuration files
>>MUST be under /etc; the reason is to make the system administrator's job
>>easier. Part of the raison d'etre of a distribution is to rationalise
>>the idiosyncrasies of individual projects. The locations used by
>>locally-built packages are up to the local administrator, but they
>>really should not be in /etc and are recommended to be under /usr/local.
>>
>>I really don't see why there is such a not-invented-here mentality about
>>this issue. I say again, standards-compliance is the best way. It
>>makes life easier for everyone if standards are followed. Don't we
>>pride ourselves on being closer to the SQL spec than other databases?
>>Any way, if PostgreSQL stays as it is, I will continue to have to ensure
>>that initdb creates symlinks to /etc/postgresql/, as happens now.
>>

>It doesn't have anything to do with "not-invented-here", which is a
>common refrain by people who don't like our decisions, like "Why don't
>you use mmap()? Oh, it's because I thought of it and you didn't". Does
>anyone seriously believe that is the motiviation of anyone in this
>project! I certainly don't.
>
>Now, on to this configuration discussion. Seems moving the config file
>out of $PGDATA requies either:
>
> 1) we specifiy both the config directory and the data directory on
> postmaster start
>
> 2) we specify the pgdata directory inside postgresql.conf or
> other config file
>
>Is this accurate?

The patch that I have adds three settings to postgresql.conf and one
command line parameter.

hba_conf = 'filename'
ident_conf='filename'
data_dir='path'

The command linae parameter is -C, used as:

postmaster -C /usr/local/etc/postgresql.conf

I think this will help administrators.

Bruce, can you shed some light as to why this is being so strongly
rejected. I just don't see any downside. I just don't get it.

I will be resubmitting my patch for the 7.3.2 tree.