Rules for trigger execution

From: pginfo <pginfo(at)t1(dot)unisoftbg(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Rules for trigger execution
Date: 2003-01-29 11:11:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Is it possible in pg to define rules for trigger execution.

I have a table with namy fields and have defined trigger ( in PL/SQL) on
updating.

If I try to update one field from the table and it is not includet in
trigger calculation,
pg takes about 15 min for updating 700K records.

If I do not have trigger installed all is ok as performance.

My Question is how to define that I need trigger execution by changin
only some fields from table?

Will be trigger execution faster if I write it in C ?

regards,
ivan.