Re: pg and transactions

From: pginfo <pginfo(at)t1(dot)unisoftbg(dot)com>
To: Medi Montaseri <medi(dot)montaseri(at)intransa(dot)com>
Cc: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg and transactions
Date: 2002-12-31 07:51:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I think I found how it is working.
It is not as expected, but at the moment I can fix the problem.

I tryed to change the transaction level to seliazable, but it is working not
flexible.
The problem is that the second transaction do not wait until ending ( by commit
or rollback ) the first one.
The second drops with seriasable exception.
I do not know why is it designed so.

The solution for me is to use select ... for update ( as Oskar Berrgren wrote).
It is not the bes solution because I will need to rewrite one big part from the
code.

The question is:

Is it possible that in transaction level SERIALIZABLE the second transaction not
to drop and to wait as if I use
select ... for update with the default transaction isolation level ?

It will be great if it exist any setup for this case !

regards,
ivan.