Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group Announces

From: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group Announces
Date: 2002-12-14 13:26:51
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Marc G. Fournier writes:
>

>>It isn't, but those working on -advocacy were asked to help come up with a
>>stronger release *announcement* then we've had in the past ...
>>

>Consider that a failed experiment. PostgreSQL is driven by the
>development group and, to some extent, by the existing user base. The
>last thing we need is a marketing department in that mix.

I am a long term user of PostgreSQL and I think it suffers from a lack
of a marketing department.

If you have the best restaurant in town, but no one eats there, what's
the point?

We all correspond and work on PostgreSQL to make it the best we can. To
create something "good" that people can use. One of the prime parts of
that sentence is "people can use." Like it or not, that means getting
the word out.

MySQL is an appalling database, but people use it, a lot! Why? Because
they really market it. They push it. They craft deceptive benchmarks
which show it is better. PostgreSQL doesn't even need to be deceptive.

My company is working on a Suite of applications and PostgreSQL is a key
component. We will be doing our own local marketing, but it it would
help if the PostgreSQL core understood that a clean professional looking
website, geared toward end users would make a big difference.

Furthermore, I think it would be very rewarding for everyone involved if
we could get some of the "street cred" that MySQL has. PostgreSQL *is* a
better database in almost every way. If MySQL virtually owns the open
source mind share for SQL databases, it is our fault.

Peter, Tom, Bruce, et al. you guys do a great job, IMHO PostgreSQL isn't
lacking in anything technical, as of 7.2, with non-locking vacuum, I
would consider it a viable database with no caveats. 7.3 is superior. A
pure Win32 version would be awesome.

I just think that if we could get people equally talented at spreading
the word and making the noise, it would make a big difference in the
number of users. More users eventually translates to more funding or
development.

Wouldn't you like to say to someone: "I contribute the PostgreSQL
project" and have them say "Cool" instead of "What's that?"