Re: Big 7.4 items

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Big 7.4 items
Date: 2002-12-13 07:05:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13 Dec 2002 at 1:22, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Replication
>
> I have talked to Darren Johnson and I believe 7.4 is the time to
> merge the Postgres-R source tree into our main CVS. Most of the
> replication code will be in its own directory, with only minor
> changes to our existing tree. They have single-master
> replication working now, so we may have that feature in some
> capacity for 7.4. I know others are working on replication
> solutions. This is probably the time to decide for certain if
> this is the direction we want to go for replication. Most who
> have have studied Postgres-R feel it is the most promising
> multi-master replication solution for reliably networked hosts.
>
> Comments?

Some.

1) What kind of replication are we looking at? log file replay/syncnronous etc.
If it is real time, like usogres( I hope I am in line with things here), that
would be real good .Choice is always good..

2 If we are going to have replication, can we have built in load balancing? Is
it a good idea to have it in postgresql or a separate application would be way
to go?

And where are nested transactions?

Bye
Shridhar

--
Booker's Law: An ounce of application is worth a ton of abstraction.