Re: Let's create a release team

From: "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Let's create a release team
Date: 2002-12-10 14:04:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On 10 Dec 2002 at 0:56, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org> writes:
> > Is the process documented? Any set procedure? Who knows how to do
> > it?
>
> Er ... nope, nope, the core bunch ...

Sounds like we need to do a brain dump then. I just happen to have
some equipment left over from "The Matrix"....

> > If these things are not documented, they should be.
>
> Most of the undocumented details of the release process are in the
> heads of Marc Fournier and Bruce Momjian. If either of them falls off
> the end of the earth, we have worse troubles than whether we remember
> how to do a release

On a project, anyone is replaceable. And anyone might leave for any
number of reasons. If they do, the affect upon the project will be
minimized by having the major processes documented.

> --- for example: Marc owns, runs, and pays for the
> postgresql.org servers.

Is the cvs repo mirrored?

> (Me, I just hack code, so I'm replaceable.)

Yeah, yeah, stop being humble... ;)

> But if you want to try to document the process better, there are some
> details written down already (eg, src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES) and I'm
> sure Marc and Bruce would cooperate in writing down more.

That's a good start. It looks like a list of things easily forgotten
but if forgotten, make us look bad.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/