reindexing

From: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: reindexing
Date: 2002-12-06 10:34:12
Lists: pgsql-general

The online docs have this to say about reindexing a whole DB:

Rebuild all system indexes (this will only work in a standalone
backend):

REINDEX DATABASE my_database FORCE;

What does "standalone backend" mean? And how can I use this command to
reindex my DB? I have tried version commands but always get:

ERROR: REINDEX DATABASE: Can be executed only on the currently open
database.

Thanks!

Jc