Re: Hierarchical queries a la Oracle patch. for 7.3rc1.

From: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Evgen Potemkin <evgent(at)ns(dot)terminal(dot)ru>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hierarchical queries a la Oracle patch. for 7.3rc1.
Date: 2002-12-05 20:55:30
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:> This is a pretty sizable patch, and there was discussion
about it.

On which there were objections that were not addressed. I, for instance,
complained about the addition of a syntax that is neither SQL not Oracle. And
the last version of the patch still has it.

Also, I felt that there was a consensus that we should implement the SQL99 (and
DB2) recursive queries instead because:
1) It is the _standard_
2) The Oracle clause is less generic (less powerful) than the standard
3) One can add the Oracle weird clause as a syntactic sugar to a specific
recursive query construct (as I have shown in one posting)
4) Adding the Oracle clause as a hack may prevent us to implement the real SQL thing

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto E-Mail: fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com